Thursday, April 19, 2007

I seem to be trying to do things that are important to me. I understand that I will not be an ECE working in daycare for the rest of my life, but I am doing it now because that's what I want to do, that's what I'm good at being recently. Maybe I'll be a librarian in 15 years, I have no idea. I won't limit myself to one thing for the rest of my life, because I know that it's too limiting.

If, two years later, the things you learned have slipped away, you probably haven't used those pieces of knowledge in that time. Is that fair to say?

If that is fair, is most of our education irrelevant? Should we, as a group who doesn't remember facts from two years ago, be concentrating on experiential knowledge instead? Is the fun inherent in learning the theory worth the time and money we spend on it if we never use it?

I remember my more important classes, because I live what I've learned. The ECE field is very practical most of the time and so the lessons stay with me. I use English most of the time so my English lessons stay with me, though parts of speech are normally lost as soon as I leave the classroom. (Seriously, I'm going to fail that exam tomorrow.) But ask me to write an essay on this or that and I can draw on what I have learned and cram it all into a few pages with direction and flow, because that's how I always do my work.

Though you might not guess it from my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment